World Suicide Prevention Day, 2021
- 12:00 am - 11:59 pm
Suicide is preventable
Suicide is an attempt to get rid of present severe psychosocial distress that has become unbearable for the individuals, resulting into an accident despite strong call for help and external support. Suicide is not caused by personal weakness but is a result of unaddressed issues of economy, society, and family environment including poverty, violence, substance abuse, educational pressures etc.
A person having severe psychosocial distress seeks continuous support but not getting the right support at the right time compels them to consider suicide as the only option. Therefore, it can be prevented if the individual, family, community, and society understand the situation, provide a space to ventilate their feelings, and listen to those who are going through psychosocial distress.
Although suicide is preventable, sadly the rate of suicide is on the rise in Nepal.
- 20 people lose their life to suicide daily
- 7141 People lost their lives to suicide in the F.Y.2077/2078 (Source: Nepal Police)
- 13.7% More than the previous Fiscal Year
- Nepal Government SDG Target (2015-2030) is to reduce the suicide rate from 16.5 per one hundred thousand to 4.7
- The Suicide Rate in the year 2020/21 has increased to 24.5 per hundred thousand
KOSHISH in Suicide Prevention
KOSHISH has been continuously advocating for multisectoral collaboration led by the government. It is needed because suicide is a complex issue and prevention efforts require coordination among multiple sectors and stakeholders. In this regard, KOSHISH filed a Public Interest Litigation in the Supreme Court demanding for Cooperation and coordination between all concerned stakeholders for the development and effective implementation of an integrated national multisectoral action plan for prevention of suicide and for the protection of the right to live a dignified life ensured by Article 16 (1) by the Constitution of Nepal and prevent and minimize the increasing rate of suicide at the federal to the local level.
When you or anyone around you are having suicidal thoughts:
- Reach out to your close one and share your feeling
- Call at 1166 (Suicide Prevention Helpline of the government)
You can reach out to KOSHISH’s Toll-Free helpline for Psychosocial Support. We keep it CONFIDENTIAL. It’s FREE with the NTC network.
- 166021-52015 (Province 1) 166033-52011 (Province 2)
- 16601-22322 (Bagmati Province) 166061-52007 (Gandaki Province)
- 166071-52005 (Lumbini Province) 166083-52022 (Karnali Province)
- 166010-56715 (Sudurpaschim Province)